I started working at Olin Rocket Research as an applications programmer soon after I graduated from the University of Washington. I was hired to maintain existing engineering applications that were written in Basic, Fortran, or Lotus macros for the Chemical and Reliability Engineering departments.
Among the projects I was assigned was the update of a program that calculated the reliability of a rocket system. The program had been originally written by a mechanical engineer more than ten years earlier and then modified several times each year as needed for each new system variation.
The calculation for reliability of a hardware system is similar to that for resistance of an electrical system in that serial and parallel component sequences must be identified and counted differently. The calculated reliability of a series of hardware components is simply the product of the set of serial components' tested reliability ratings. The calculated reliability of parallel components is a little trickier -- too simply stated as 1 - [(1-pc1)(1-pc2)] for a simple single redundancy system with parallel component reliability values of pc1 and pc2.
The problem as I saw it was twofold. First, since the components of each different system were different in number and type -- and each different component commonly possessed a different reliability value -- the original Fortran program had to be recompiled with a new data set each time a new system was to be evaluated. The other part of the problem was that each system that had a different number of components and a different redundancy arrangement had to be described in a different way in the code. That is, each time the hardware system changed the calculation sequence had to be rewritten to reflect the new serial and parallel layout and then recompiled. That easily could be seen to have wasted months of effort over the program's lifetime.
I saw that the program needed to be changed so that it would no longer be necessary to recompile every time a new system was to be evaluated. I chose to drive the program with a table described in a data file that provided system shape and component reliability values. I also saw that a switch to the C programming language was necessary because Fortran did not offer dynamic memory allocation needed for variably-sized systems nor the recursion that would be required for handling all possible shapes of parallel circuits.
The next day I replaced the 2000 lines of Fortran sourcecode in a couple of hours with a 50 line, table-driven recursive C-language version. From that time on, all a mechanical engineer had to do to calculate a system's reliability was feed it's shape and components' reliability values into a data file and open and run it with the program. No code changes or compiler were needed from then on.